Review Panasonic Nocticron 42.5mm f/1.2 lens reviews and preorder links

Discussion in 'Panasonic and Olympus Reviews' started by α-One, Jan 22, 2014.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Become a member to take part in Discussions, post News and Reviews and to enjoy members only features. Registration is FREE and just takes a minute only. Have a Nice Day!
  1. α-One

α-One Founder Admin

Leica Nocticron 42.5mm lens review by camera labs, photographyblog etc

Image of Leica Nocticron 42.5mm lens (courtesy photographyblog)
    [​IMG]
    Panasonic Leica Nocticron 42.5mm f/1.2 lens is a professional prime lens designed and produced for micro-four-third camera systems by Panasonic and Olympus. The 'Leica' brand name comes in the name of lens because its a joint effort between Leica and Panasonic- designed by Leica, Germany and produced by Panasonic, Japan. The lens was announced at Consumer-Electronic Show help earlier this month, Las Vegas and we had leaked images of the lens and some non-trustable sample images and some early reviews already. But now we have more expert reviews of the lens and I'm compiling them together here. The lens is very expensive compared to the other Pansonic lenses and even the cameras, but thats justifiable considering the Leica quality in materials and features. The price is £1399.99 / $1599.99 in UK and USA respectively (Lumix GX7 with 14-42mm lens is available for $998 at here

Review of Leica Nocticron by Cameralab's Gordon Laing:- This review is more detailed and covers all aspects. His sum up - " while the Nocticron is the most expensive Micro Four Thirds lens to date, when you look at its superb performance across the board it doesn't seem that unreasonable. Physically my only complaints are that it's not weather-sealed, the manual focusing ring (on my sample) wasn't quite as buttery smooth as I'd hoped, and the optical stabilisation was only good for a stop or two. Optically when wide-open there's the cats-eye rendering of specular highlights, a little vignetting, a tiny amount of coma and some longitudinal chromatic aberrations (albeit only on close-ups) that you'd expect from a very large aperture lens, but any aberrations are minimal and in terms of sharpness across the aperture range I can't fault it. So should you invest in a Nocticron? Before my final verdict, here's how it compares to three other lenses you may already own or are almost certainly weighing-up."

Read the full review by cameralabs here
    Pros
    -Superb quality. Sharp right into the corners at f1.2. Best yet for M4/3.
    -f1.2 focal ratio delivers very shallow depth of field with nice bokeh.
    -f1.2 focal ratio great in low light: gathers twice as much light as f1.8 lens.
    -Very well-corrected optics with minimal vignetting, coma or CA.
    -Great build quality, metal barrel and matching metal lens hood supplied.
    -Optical stabilisation built-in.
    -Manual aperture ring for bodies that support it.

Cons
    -Most expensive M4/3 prime yet, roughly double the 75mm f1.8.
    -Modest closest focusing distance of 0.5m means it's no macro lens.
    -Cats-eye bokeh for specular highlights at f1.2 and f1.4.
    -Stabilisation only effective for one or two stops in my tests.
    -Stabilisation and aperture ring redundant for Olympus body owners.
    -Manual focusing ring was not always as smooth as I expected.
    -No weather-sealing.

Nocticron 42.5mm lens with Olympus OMD EM-1 camera- sample video

Review by Photographybog:- They says " The Panasonic Leica DG Nocticron 42.5mm F1.2 ASPH is an outstanding short telephoto lens that currently offers one of the fastest maximum apertures of any Micro Four Thirds lens. It's extremely well-built and delivers stellar image quality at both the centre and edges of the frame, even when shooting wide-open at f/1.2. With a sky-high recommended retail price of £1399.99 / $1599.99, though, the Panasonic Leica DG Nocticron 42.5mm F1.2 ASPH is the most expensive Micro Four Thirds lens currently on the market."

For full review and samples go here

Short review by Imaging-resource:- They have tested with Panasonic GM1 camera. Also says lens suits the style of GX7 and GH3.
    You can read the review and check out the sample images of the models here

Pre-Order Links:-
    B&H link - click here
    AmazonUS- here
    Adorama - go here
    WexUK - here