Review FlashQ20 - LightPix lab's compact wireless flash system for mirrorless/DSLR camera

Discussion in 'Camera Accessory & Equipment Reviews' started by α-One, Jun 18, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Become a member to take part in Discussions, post News and Reviews and to enjoy members only features. Registration is FREE and just takes a minute only. Have a Nice Day!
  1. α-One

α-One Founder Admin

FlashQ20 mirrorless camera wireless flash unit review
    After their little wireless radio trigger FlashQ in 2014, LightPix labs came up with an all in one little versatile wireless flash unit in 2015 called FlashQ20 and its started shipping in this gone May. Main talking points of FlashQ20 will be its compact size (size measurements and comparisons lower in the article), detachable and wireless flash and its extra features. Both of their projects came via multi-platform crow funding Indiegogo. The FlashQ20 comes in balck and white theme and each unit contains in the flash and radio trigger (similar to original FlashQ ); aslo can be ordered in pair like white and black or in a pair of same color (ie black or white).
    [​IMG]

Top features of FlashQ20
    • Lightweight and compact size - About 1/3rd size of a regular camera flash and just over a 100g weight without the battery. Looks very low profile in size on a mirrorless camera.
    • Wireless flash unit - the flash unit of FlashQ20 can be removed and positioned at your convenient angle and triggered via the radio trigger attached to the hot shoe.
    • Modeling light/ LED video light - a useful led light which you probably won't see in any other flash systems
    • Cheap in terms of cost - Just $89 USD for single unit (black) and $95 for white which includes the trigger and flash, color gels and a nice pouch. Compared to Godox TT350s which I bought for my Sony mirrorless camera its cheaper "now" (Actually when I bought it was $89 though).
    • 90 degree tiltable - not much compared to other flashes maximum tilt (270 degrees).
    Full Specifications
    • Guide Number 20 (at ISO 100)
    • Focal length coverage: 32mm (on 35mm format)
    • Manual flash power ratio control (7 steps adjustable, 1/64 to 1/1)
    • LED video light (7 steps adjustable, Max. 60 lux output at 1m)
    • 2.4GHz low-power digital radio (FlashQ Receiver) inside Q20 main body
    • 10 meters wireless operating range
    • Tilt-capable flash head, up to 90° and with click-stops at 0°, 45°, 60°, 75°, 90°
    • Other functions: S1 / S2 optical slave, modeling light (LED)
    • Two AA-size alkaline / Ni-MH batteries power source
    • Recycling time (1/1 full power output) : 7 sec. by fresh alkaline batteries / 6 sec. by Ni-MH batteries
    • Number of flashes : 100 - 2000 flashes by fresh alkaline batteries
    • LED lighting time: approx. 1 hour (at full power LED output and by Ni-MH batteries)
    • Flash color temperature : 5600K±200K (same as daylight)
    • LED color temperature : 5500K±300K
    • Dedicated socket for FlashQ transmitter attachment
    • Dimensions : 59(W) x 99(H) x 29(D) mm (with FlashQ transmitter attached)
    • Weight : 115g (without battery)
    [​IMG]
    What the box contains ?
    Like the flash unit itself the boxing also very small and you can see all the contents and the box itself in the picture below..

[​IMG]
    1. The FlashQ20 flash and trigger - both can be separated by pressing a little press button on back of the flash unit and you can put it back easily by aligning both and pushing in.
    2. The pouch/carrier - good quality soft cloth pouch
    3. The color gels/filters - There are 7 different colored gel filters included as seen above which can be inserted when you wanted into the slot just below flash border.
    4. Get started guide - a quick set up guide to get started off.
    [​IMG]
    Size comparison

You wouldn't need a size comparison to actually to imagine the size of FlashQ20, at mere 110g weight and 59(W) x 99(H) x 29(D) mm ( with transmitter) it just sits inside the palm of your hand (average size). Its probably less than half the size of a common DSLR flash and it fits the size of your mirrorless camera and make it easy to hold the camera with flash without much weight impact. When I used on my a6300, I felt easy to hold the camera and move it around without much struggle. The length would be about the length of my index finder and width of my thumb (without the radio transmitter). Even with the flash trigger on its about 3/4th of the length of Godox TT350s (the smallest flash available for mirrorless cameras i think).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

FlashQ20 Promo video
    Performance & Ease of use

FlashQ20 unit is not that hard to set it up before being ready for shoot. You will need 2AA batteries for the flash and Trigger already comes set up with its coin battery( it opens at top with a lift up window, in case you need to know). The start up guide comes with the unit has guide how to pair the trigger and flash prior to use and I felt it easy to mount on the hot-shoe of my Sony a6300 than the Godox TT350s and for removal for too (may be because its flat metal bottom mount part). After pairing (see guide) you can control the flash power either on flash unit or on trigger that goes on camera (see above picture). Unlike the other flashes there is no LCD screen or round dial to set the flash power instead all arrowed buttons to left and right. Dissimilar to other flashes, there is no TTL mode as its a manual flash but the FlashQ20 has 5 other modes - flash mode, s1 and s2 modes (slave), video mode and modeling mode. In modeling mode you can get both LED and Flash work at the same time where you can adjust the flash tilted to direct flash bounce off ceiling and LED straight onto subject. As they say FlashQ transmitter can be paired with a maximum of 8 FlashQ20 bodies and used simultaneously. But I'm not sure whether it can be paired with any other wireless flashes for that matter.

Sample Shots (with Godox TT350s comparison)

Below are sample images (unedited camera jpg samples except resizing) from Sony a6300 with FlashQ20 and compared to Godox TT350s in same settings and lighting conditions. All samples are on-camera and with different tilt stops (both same angles but Godox with catchlight panel out). FlashQ20 comes with no catchlight panel like other flashes. More tests with off-camera and color gels/filters will be posted later.

Below shot with no flash at all - ISO 100, Shutter Speed 1/320, f/1.8, Sony E-50mm
    [​IMG]

Direct Flash with FlashQ20 - ISO 100, Shutter Speed 1/320, f/1.8, Sony E-50mm
    [​IMG]
    Direct Flash with Godox TT350s - ISO 100, Shutter Speed 1/500, f/1.8, Sony E-50mm
    [​IMG]

FlashQ20 at 45° angle - ISO 100, Shutter Speed 1/320, f/1.8, Sony E-50mm
    [​IMG]
    Godox TT350s at 45° angle - ISO 100, Shutter Speed 1/500, f/1.8, Sony E-50mm
    [​IMG]

FlashQ20 at 60° angle - ISO 100, Shutter Speed 1/320, f/1.8, Sony E-50mm
    [​IMG]
    Godox TT350s at 60° angle - ISO 100, Shutter Speed 1/500, f/1.8, Sony E-50mm
    [​IMG]

FlashQ20 at 75° angle - ISO 100, Shutter Speed 1/400, f/1.8, Sony E-50mm
    [​IMG]
    Godox TT350s at 75° angle - ISO 100, Shutter Speed 1/400, f/1.8, Sony E-50mm
    [​IMG]
    We have to take into account the above images are not in perfect testing conditions, but reasonably good and identical for both flashes except the fact that Godox has the catchlight panel out reflecting the flash so is more brighter images. Also I have to admit the ceiling was not completely white for good bouncing of flash. More controlled testing will be required for a real comparison and I might do in the coming months.

Conclusion:- To conclude this review, FlashQ20 is an excellent flash with a small size profile with wireless trigger and some additional features you can't find in other DSLR or mirrorless camera flashes. Its cheap in its range and easily portable even on the camera and with possibilities of using multiple wireless flashes for your work. It will never be a bad investment even in 2-3 units. If you are interested, you can order it here

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017